A big part of your tailgating event depends on the food you prepare with your loved ones. And a gas grill plays a vital role in making this experience pleasant. To fulfill this need of yours, there are numerous gas grills designed explicitly for tailgating. But which one to choose?
It’s hard to compare so many gas grills and pick the right one among them. Besides, it’s a time-consuming chore. That’s where we come in. To make your grilling experience extraordinary, we’ve created a list of the best portable gas grill for tailgating. We will also tell you things to consider before you can shop for your tailgating event.
By the end of this article, we intend to enlighten you about everything you need to know about portable gas grills explicitly suitable for tailgating. Let’s get started.
10 Best Portable Gas Grill For Tailgating
We will initiate by introducing you to the 10 best portable gas grills for tailgating. These gas grills made it to the top 10 on a scale of all the essential features you would expect from a portable gas grill.
10 Best Portable Gas Grill For Tailgating in a Video
Product Reviews on Best Portable Gas Grill
- Improved Control: Burners are equipped with enhanced technology that offers 20% better control over your grill.
- 3 Temperature Zones: Three adjustable zones give you a powerful precision over the grilling temperature.
- Easy Transportation: The quick-fold legs along with 2 rugged wheels will let your grill effortlessly travel. Easy set up for tailgating or campsite events.
- Interchangeable Cooktops: You can swap the cast iron grill grates if you wish to do diverse cooking.
Coleman’s portable propane grill is a crowd-pleaser. Make your family and friends pleased with a series of perfectly cooked meals every time. The sliding trays are the perfect icing on the cake. You can keep all your sauces and utensils right near your hand so that cooking on this grill becomes as effortless as traveling with it.
For an event where you need to carry a grill that offers you the best results, the Coleman grill is unbeatable. However, it can be a bit messy when clean-up is necessary. The cleaning process is a bit tough, but considering its performance, it’s well worth the adjustment.
- Ample Cooking Space: The cooking surface of this grill is 360 sq, and you can accommodate about 15 burgers on it.
- Warming Rack: The swing-away rack is of ideal size to give a secondary cooking area. It offers you versatile cooking options to get creative with.
- Shelves and Wheels: The side shelves will perfectly accommodate your dishes and present a beautiful visual to the whole setup. For easier mobility, two 6-inch wheels do their job splendidly.
- Material: This grill features stainless steel with porcelain coating, so you can stop worrying about longevity.
It’s nearly impossible that you are into grilling and haven’t heard of Char-broil. It’s a very popular name in the grilling industry. It’s obvious that the portable gas grill from Char-broil would make our list.
Among all other features, there’s a side burner on this grill that you can use for side dishes and sauces. Top-notch materials are used for making this grill withstand strong weather conditions. Besides, the ignition system lets you light your grill with one simple push.
Not to mention, you can easily move the grill around, thanks to the wheels. The inline burners are made of stainless steel for longevity and superior performance.
- Compact and Sturdy: The cooking area is relatively smaller, so you don’t have to carry a big grill even when the gathering is small. Perfect for friends and family tailgate events. The structure is well-built for a durable and robust feature.
- High-Quality Materials: For even heating, the body and lid are made of aluminum, whereas cast iron grill grates are for a better cooking experience.
- Easy Maintenance: Effortlessly clean your grill, and there’s a greased pan to make your cooking less messy.
This comes with a single burner. So, if you need a small cooking surface for small gatherings, the Weber propane grill is the best option for you. The grates are made of porcelain-enameled cast iron, whereas the structure and lid feature aluminum.
This mixture of materials makes sure that you get proper heating with no harmful elements on your food. And an easy push-button ignition just makes everything better.
This is one of the best compact and sturdy single-burner propane grills to get for a greater tailgating experience.
- Adjustable Burner: You are getting 3 independently controlled burners, each with 9,000 BTU, adding up to 27,000 BTU. Achieving even heat distribution has never been easier.
- Surface: The flat top is detachable, porcelain-enameled, and features a 316-square inch cooking area. To be clearer, the surface can hold 15 patties at once.
- Piezo Ignition: Control panel is made with durable stainless steel and features a piezo ignition system.
- Oil Disposal: Removable grease drip cup holds grease residue from your food while cooking and is effortless to clean after use.
- Perfect Size: The grill includes a regulator for 20 lb. tank, and its portable structure makes it perfect for tailgating, camping, and hiking.
Separately controlled burners are awesome. You can easily adjust the heat to utilize this machine to create versatile dishes. Your outdoor activities will reach their height when you are using the Royal Gourmet gas griddle.
Everything is as perfect as you want them to be. Enough cooking power, fast and even heat distribution, broad cooking surface, easy ignition system, and whatnot.
The grill is a bit sloped, so the oil drains faster to the oil cup. However, this feature may seem annoying to some users. Other than that, this grill’s got it all.
- No Assembly: No need to assemble the grill. Start using it right out of the box.
- Electronic Ignition: Quick and easy ignition system saves your time and energy. Besides, the infinite control burner valve will let you control the heat just as you want.
- Side Tables: As a perfect finishing touch, there are two folding side tables to store the things you need while grilling.
- Drip Tray: There’s a smartly designed grease tray and catch pan to make your cooking less messy and cleaning easier.
Featuring a 189 square inch cooking area, Q1200 grill from Weber is your perfect on-the-go grill. The grill comes assembled, so you won’t have to go through the trouble of assembling it. The portable size of this grill makes it easier to carry it.
The ignition system is easy, and you can have precise control over the temperature using the infinite control burner valve.
For easy cooking, the grates are made of porcelain-coated cast iron. And for fast and even heating, the body is made of aluminum.
- Compact Yet Large: You can cook full-sized grills on this, yet the grill is compact in size and can fit in any small space.
- Durable Burner and Even Heating: The burners are made of stainless steel and grates with porcelain enamel. SO you are getting durability and even heating at the same time.
- Briefcase-Style Handle: You can close the grill and carry it like a briefcase for effortless mobility.
- Foldable Legs: Fold the legs without any trouble to make the grill smaller. The legs are made of aluminum and features feet stabilizers.
When you don’t have enough space for your tailgating grill, this compact from Cuisinart can solve all your issues. In fact, this might be the best small gas grill for tailgating. It’s powered with propane and weighs only 13.5 pounds. You can accommodate around 8 burgers on its 145 square inch cooking surface.
The folding legs will make it your favorite on-the-go gas grill. A spill-resistant drip tray and other relevant features like a locking handle make the grill one of the best grills on this list.
Moreover, easy setup and porcelain-coated cast iron grill grates are added bonus with this grill.
- Fewer Flare-ups: The grates are made of stainless steel, and using a TRU-infrared cooking system, the chance of flare-ups have been significantly reduced.
- No Hot or Cold spots: Infrared heat makes it easy to control temperature and heats the grill evenly to eliminate any hot or cold spots.
- Easily Portable: It’s your grill to go, designed with an easy mobility structure. Plenty of cooking areas to accommodate food for your friend and family while doing the outdoor grilling.
- Easy Ignition: The ignition system comes as easy as pushing a button, and there’s a temperature gauge mounted on the lid for effortless monitoring.
Grills suitable for tailgating adapt to temperature quickly and distribute heat evenly. The Char-Broil X200 comes with all the features you want from a portable grill that makes it one of the best portable gas grills. It provides you with 9,500 BTUs with a cooking surface of 200 square inches. For a simpler understanding, it can accommodate up to 12 burgers at once.
The grill features the TRU-Infrared cooking system. This means you are getting fewer flare-ups with juicier meats.
The structure is constructed with durable die-cast aluminum. The ignition system is activated by a push-button method. Overall, it’s a product to make your bucket list without second thoughts.
- Even Heating: The porcelain-enameled 160-square-inches grates will give you a large cooking surface to accommodate food for everyone at one time. And it distributes heat efficiently and evenly.
- BURNER: A 5,500 BTU burner with an electric ignition system gives you precise temperature control.
- Compact Design: The grill features a compact size to make it easier for the user to carry it anywhere effortlessly. It only weighs 17 lbs, making it easily transportable and ideal for patios, decks, camping, tailgating, etc.
- Freestanding Grill: Its design will allow you to use your grill as a freestanding grill. You can easily accommodate food for 4-6 people at once. The stand will provide you an ideal height and telescoping stand.
Cuisinart is always a trusted name when it comes to grilling. Among other models, this one is explicitly made for outdoor grilling and is enriched with features you will love. You can quickly break down and set up the grill without much effort.
The grill will heat fast and provide even heating to offer you the best tailgating experience you can get with a grill. Integrated lid lock with a briefcase-style handle lets you carry the grill with utmost comfort. There’s also a drip pan you can remove to make the cleaning process easier.
- Easy Setup: Giantex gas grill features an easy and foldable design that you can easily set up and grill everything you want. Perfect for any outdoor grilling activity.
- Large Capacity: With enough spacious cooking surface, the grill makes sure that you can cook for a large group of people at once.
- Easy to Transport: Lightweight, folds easy, lid lock, and a comfortable handle combines into a perfectly portable grill.
- Easy to Use: Turn and push ignition system will make your grilling experience more comfortable and relaxed with precise temperature control.
Giantex tabletop gas grill is a perfect combination of comfort, quality, durability, and portability. It’s designed for ultimate mobility, making it perfect for camping, tailgating, or any other outdoor grilling events.
You can cook for many people at once with its large cooking surface, yet it’s compact in size. There’s an ergonomic handle you can use to carry this grill by locking the lid. With a Giantex gas grill on your table, you won’t have to worry about temperature control and heat distribution either.
- Cast Iron Grill: Features porcelain enamel, cast iron grill, and has a split grid. This makes cleaning so much easier as you can only remove part of the grill and clean the rest.
- Strong and Durable Construction: Considering the price, it’s no surprise that the Weber Q 2200 is made from high-quality materials.
- Folding Side Tables: The whole grill becomes more functional with the side tables. Store different things on the table for a less messy cooking experience.
The Weber Q 2200 is an amazing barbecue for 2-4 people who are active and want to have a barbecue to take on a picnic or camping. What makes this grill even more amazing are the folding side tables. They are not as sturdy as some of the previous Weber models, but you will still be able to store your cookware, spices, and sauces in them.
A tall lid made of cast aluminum, a heat-resistant glass-reinforced nylon frame, and stainless steel burners make this grill durable and strong. This grill is built to last for years.
When using a portable grill, the type of metal used for the lid, grill grates, and overall size will affect the total weight. Of course, heavyweight is a factor against the portability of your gas grill.
Here are some quick ideas on how specific materials can affect a portable gas grill’s overall weight and maneuverability.
Cast aluminum is relatively light compared to steel. It’s also satisfyingly durable. The downside of this material is that it increases the per-unit price. Acids can affect cast aluminum dripped from marinades. It causes changing the combustion chamber’s bottom.
Cast iron is a relatively inexpensive metal that absorbs heat energy perfectly. You can sometimes find it on a portable gas grill with a low-power BTU rating. By giving the grill enough warm-up time, the grill improves the overall cooking function.
It’s commonly used as a structural component of a portable gas grill’s frame. Glass-reinforced is good when you want lightweight rigidity along with sturdy stability.
Portable gas grills usually feature cheap 430 stainless steel or 304 commercial-grade stainless steel. Of these, 304 typically have higher thermal resistance and less chance of getting damaged. It also increases the overall price of the grill.
304 stainless steel is commonly found in portable gas grill’s combustion chamber, burner elements, and grates. In recent years, grill manufacturers have replaced 430 grills with 304 portable gas grills that require a high-quality exterior.
Cleaning and Maintenance
For your gas grill to work efficiently, it will need some maintenance. After all, you wouldn’t expect your gas grill to work perfectly without requiring maintenance or cleaning. It’s a part of the process to protect your investment in the grill. Keep these three things in mind while taking care of your portable gas grill.
- Heat the grill thoroughly each time you turn it on. Clean and sanitize your gas grill.
- Brush the grill to remove any residue and obtain a clean surface.
- After removing all food residues, raise the heat to the highest on the grill. This burns all the drippings and grease off the grill.
- Cover the grill as soon as it cools. It’s a myth that a closed-lid grill rusts.
After Ten Cookouts
- Remove the cooking grates to clean them.
- Keeping the grill grates out, clean the metal barriers placed above the burners.
- Brush your grill’s inside in the drip tray below.
- Clean or replace the drip tray.
- Put everything back on and light the grill. Let it heat up for about 10 minutes or until no smoke comes out of the grill.
Once a Year
If you plan to barbecue in winter, you will want to do it at the end of the season. If you bake steaks year-round, pick a nice day and do it at least once a year. If you grill more than once a week, you should do it twice a year.
- Remove the grill grates and submerge them in warm soapy water.
- Remove the barrier and soak them too.
- Thoroughly clean the inside of the grill. Leave grease build-up as a protective coating on metal.
- With the removable parts gone, light up the grill long enough so you can see flame spreading from the burners.
- If the flame is uneven, you must clean the burners. Remove the burner that’s affected from your grill and use a pipe cleaner or small wire to poke the holes. Then gently tap the burners down on the ground to expel all debris from inside the burner. After cleaning, replace the burners and light them again. If the flame is flat, continue. If not, repeat this step.
- Clean or replace the drip tray.
- While the grates and barriers are flashing, close the grill and wash the exterior, just like you would your car.
- Wash your cooking grates, and barrier then put them back together.
- Light your grill and let it heat, drying all the internals.
- If you are really packing the grill for the season, turn off and unplug the gas supply. Remove the propane tank from the rack and place it in a secure and ventilated area. Keep your grill covered while storing.
- If you notice that parts are worn or broken during cleaning, your gas grill may need to be repaired.
Buying Guide For The Portable Gas Grill For Tailgating
To prevent getting overwhelmed while picking a gas grill, consider and compare the grill’s features before buying one. We’ve listed the things you should keep in mind before purchasing the best portable gas grill for tailgating.
The British Thermal Unit or BTU measures a grill’s heat output. It determines how quickly your burner will get heated. A Higher BTU rating means quicker heating and more fuel consumption.
It usually depends on your cooking needs whether you should go for a gas grill with high or low BTU. If you want large meals quickly, go for a higher BTU and if you are concerned about fuel, go for a lower one.
Primary Surface Area
Again it will differ from user to user depending on their cooking needs. A large group of people will need a broad cooking surface in a gas grill, whereas small groups will require a small one. The cooking area is a measurement for how much food you can cook and accommodate at once, so choose wisely.
If you wish to cook different dishes at once with your gas grill, we recommend purchasing a grill that comes with multiple burners. If you don’t need versatile cooking, a single-burner gas grill should suffice.
The ignition system is also crucial to consider while buying a gas grill. Different users prefer different lighting systems. Some like manual lighting, while others may prefer an automatic ignition system.
The ignition system varieties include twist electric ignition, integrated piezoelectric, and push-button ignition.
Electric ignition is when the grill uses sparks to light the burners. It’s pretty fast, and you can rely on this. However, you’ll need a power source to light the grill.
A push-button is a straightforward design and popular for durability. If you don’t want to go through the power source issue, push-button is your best option.
Foods that require keeping them warm before serving need a gas grill with a warming rack. If you go for a compact grill, you probably won’t get this feature as they need extra space.
For tailgating, portability is a must-have feature. If your gas grill isn’t portable, it shouldn’t make your bucket list, at least when you are shopping for a gas grill for tailgating.
Make sure the grill is easily portable as well as fairly lightweight that doesn’t cause much hassle to carry. Foldable legs and wheels are a good feature for a tailgating grill. Also, make sure the lid is in sturdy condition to withstand the outdoor atmosphere.
Extra features are debatable. Some will prioritize having a side table, where others may value something else. If all basic features are almost the same in different gas grills on your bucket list, extra features are a good way to differentiate them from each other.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Gas grills are important when you want to make your tailgating memory better than ever. If your cooking experience while tailgating isn’t pleasant, the whole event can get ruined. However, gas grills come with responsibility.
And, you have to be careful while you choose the best portable gas grill for tailgating. We’ve tried to make your buying journey as easy as possible. The rest should be easier for you to execute. Consider the things we’ve mentioned, and you are set for a lifelong company of your tailgating events.